Last updated: 28th October 2014
Functions of Economic Wing: Japan
The Economic Wing of the Embassy of Japan is headed by an officer who holds the diplomatic rank of a Minister. As a functional unit of the Economic Relations Division (ERD), the Economic Wing is charged with the responsibilities for strengthening the existing bilateral economic cooperation between Japan and Bangladesh and in particular for promoting investment by Japanese companies/entrepreneurs in Bangladesh.
Economic Wing of the Mission is working for mobilization of resources, technical cooperation, transfer of technology, Human Resource Development through training and higher education and studies in different Japanese Universities and institutions.
- Mobilizing bilateral aid in the form of Grants, Loans and Technical Cooperation for Bangladesh;
- Promoting Japanese investment in Bangladsh through maintaining regular contacts with different Chambers of Commerce and Industries, and briefing them about investment opportunities in Bangladesh;
- Monitoring macro economic indicators of the Japanese economy and report on theimplications of the movements of those indicators on the potential ODA flows of Japan;
- Assist strengthening Human Resource Development of Bangladesh through coordinatingand managing Japanese scholarships such as, Japanese Development Scholarship, Youth Development Program, Monbukaga kusho Scholarship, andothers;
- Maintain liaison with different ministires of the Government of Banlgadesh with regard to the specific issues relating to Japanese ODA, investment, business promoting fair etc;
- Facilitate and arrange signing of ODA Loan Agreement between the Government of Bangladesh and Japan;
- Maintain liaison and coordination with key institutions, bureaus, agencies and relevant ministries such as Finance, Foreign Affiars, International Cooperation Bureaus, JICA, JBIC and other key ministries/institutions of the Japanese Government for facilitating Japanese ODA mobilization to Bangladesh